Isak from Newcastle scores a late winner at Forest.

Newcastle’s Alexander Isak scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner from the penalty spot at Nottingham Forest to keep their top-four hopes alive.

After Moussa Niakhate was penalized for handball in the box, Isak calmly placed his spot-kick into the right corner, having earlier cancelled out Emmanuel Dennis’ opener.

Newcastle substitute Elliot Anderson thought he had made it 2-1 when he thumped in a header at the back post, only for VAR to rule it out for offside in the build-up.

Newcastle dominated for long periods and hit the crossbar twice in the first half, either side of a glorious chance fired over from close range by Joe Willock.

Forest’s first goal came against the run of play, when Newcastle defender Sven Botman unforgivably gave possession to Dennis, who cleverly chipped it over the goalkeepers.

On the stroke of half-time, Willock set up Isak for a precise volley into the far corner, and the Swedish striker later delivered the winner, sparking celebratory scenes in the Nottingham away end.

Newcastle are now just a point behind Tottenham in fifth place, with a game in hand, while Forest are two points above the relegation zone.

Newcastle’s efforts pay off as Forest’s woes persist.
Newcastle had to work hard for their win, but it was well-earned.

They had already forced Forest goalkeeper Keylor Navas into action several times in the second half as pressure mounted inside the hosts’ half, with defender Serge Aurier making a goalline clearance and striker Jacob Murphy volleying wide from close range.

When Anderson’s goal was ruled out for offside in the build-up, it appeared that fortune was on Forest’s side, but Newcastle were eventually rewarded for their efforts when Isak stepped up again to deliver the goods.

Newcastle came from behind to win in the Premier League for the first time this season, bolstering their chances of qualifying for the Champions League.

It was also another strong performance from Isak, who now has six goals in ten Premier League appearances after scoring in last weekend’s 2-1 win over Wolves.

Traveling fans remained in the stands long after the final whistle, celebrating with the players on the field and chanting for their success in what could be a significant result.

It was yet another setback for Forest. Relegation is still a possibility, and they were no match for Newcastle on Friday evening.

They had a late chance in the dying minutes through Brennan Johnson, but it did not trouble goalkeeper Nick Pope enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *