According to the UN’s International Organization for Migration, at least 73 migrants are missing and presumed dead after their boat capsized off the coast of Libya (IOM).
Only seven people survived the shipwreck on Tuesday, but they are in “extremely critical condition” in the hospital.
So far, the Libyan Red Crescent and police have recovered 11 bodies.
The boat was heading to Europe on a route the IOM has called “the world’s deadliest migratory sea crossing”.
More than 130 people have already died this year while crossing the Mediterranean Sea.
The IOM also stated that its Missing Migrants Project recorded over 1,450 deaths last year.
“This situation is intolerable,” said Safa Msehli, a group spokesperson.
Ms Msehli said more efforts were needed to “increase search and rescue capacity, establish clear and safe disembarkation mechanisms as well as safe and regular pathways to migration to reduce dangerous journeys”.