After two settlers were killed by a Palestinian gunman, Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian villages in the northern occupied West Bank.
According to the Palestinian health ministry, one Palestinian man was killed and more than 100 others were injured in the overnight violence near Nablus.
According to a local official, dozens of cars and houses were also set on fire.
It came after the murders of two Israelis, brothers from a nearby settlement, along a highway.
The Israeli military said it was still looking for the Palestinian who shot Hillel Yaniv, 22, and Yagel Yaniv, 20, and that hundreds of extra troops had been deployed.
Earlier on Sunday, Israeli and Palestinian officials met in Jordan and pledged to de-escalate tensions.
Videos posted hours after the summit showed a large crowd of Israeli settlers lighting fires and throwing stones in the village of Hawara, about 4 miles (6 kilometers) south of Nablus.
Lamar Abusarees, ten, said her house was one of those set on fire.
“Because there was no safe place, my mother moved us to a corner. While we were inside, they broke all of the windows “She told the news agency Reuters.
Ghassan Daghlas, a Palestinian official who monitors settlements in the Nablus region, told the Palestinian Wafa news agency that 30 houses in Hawara were damaged or burned down, and 15 vehicles were set on fire.
According to him, settlers also set fire to a barn and three vehicles in nearby Burin, as well as a house and a water tank in Asira al-Qabaliyya.
According to the Palestinian health ministry, Sameh Aqtash, 37, died after being shot in the stomach during a settlers’ attack in Zaatara.
Abdul Moneim, Mr Aqtash’s brother, said they were attacked by settlers while standing outside a blacksmith shop.
“They left the area and then returned with the occupation [Israeli] army,” he told AFP. “The army, not the settlers, shot my brother.”
The Israeli military, however, claimed that Mr Aqtash was not shot by an Israeli soldier.
This area of the West Bank is completely under Israeli control, and Palestinians have been critical of Israeli security forces for failing to protect them.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said he held the Israeli government fully responsible for what he called “the terrorist acts carried out by Israeli settlers, under the protection of the Israeli occupation forces”.
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s Prime Minister, appealed for calm and urged settlers to allow the Israeli military and security forces to focus on finding the gunman who killed the two Israelis.
“I implore you not to take the law into your own hands when the blood is boiling and the spirit is hot,” he said in a video statement.
Settlers had called for a march to Hawara to “seek vengeance” for the deadly attack on the brothers, who lived in Har Bracha, 1.2 miles south of Nablus.
A Palestinian man rammed the two men’s car and then shot them both multiple times as they drove through Hawara.
Esty, Hillel and Yagel Yaniv’s mother, stated: “This disaster is beyond description. Rather than bringing children to the wedding canopy, we should bury them.”
She also appealed for unity among Israelis and stressed that “responsibility to guarantee security rests solely with the army”.
So far, no Palestinian militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the gunman was reportedly wearing a shirt with the insignia of the Nablus-based Lions’ Den.
Members of the group were targeted in an Israeli raid in Nablus last Wednesday, which killed 11 Palestinians, including several civilians – the deadliest such operation in the West Bank since 2005.
Israeli forces have been conducting waves of search, arrest, and intelligence-gathering raids in Nablus and the nearby city of Jenin, claiming that they are attempting to halt a spate of deadly Palestinian attacks on Israelis.
More than 60 Palestinians, both militants and civilians, have been killed by Israeli forces since the beginning of the year. On the Israeli side, 13 people have been killed in attacks, all of whom were civilians with the exception of a paramilitary police officer.
More than 600,000 Jews live in 140 settlements built since Israel’s 1967 Middle East war occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The majority of the international community believes the settlements are illegal under international law, though Israel disagrees.